In modern western astrology there are twelve signs of the zodiac. These are commonly referred to as "star signs" although it is generally considered more accurate to call them "sun signs" or zodiac signs.
A person's sign is determined by the location of the Sun in relation to the zodiac at the time of their birth (see diagram).
- Aries, the ram (March 21–April 19)
- Taurus, the bull (April 20–May 20)
- Gemini, the twins (May 21–June 21)
- Cancer, the crab (June 22–July 22)
- Leo, the lion (July 23–August 22)
- Virgo, the virgin (August 23–September 22)
- Libra, the balance (September 23–October 23)
- Scorpius (Scorpio), the scorpion (October 24–November 21)
- Sagittarius, the archer (November 22–December 21)
- Capricornus (Capricorn), the goat (December 22–January 19)
- Aquarius, the water bearer (January 20–February 18)
- Pisces, the fish (February 19–March 20).